Monday, July 31, 2006

Two dancers, to dance


We stand toe to toe
In the loud silence before the opening strands of music begin,
I raise my head,
Set my shoulder back, and my body lengthens against yours
You Straighten,
Your Arms embrace me as a frame to a picture
The first strands tease us, each one warming to the other
We take opportunity of the first few bars to introduce ourselves
I adapt to the length of your stride,
You test the tension in my hand,
How strong is your lead ?
You send me out on the first spin,
My eyes search for you
I see you step to frame my body as you hold your hand out
The tempo increases,
Introductions complete
You take my hand masterfully in yours
Your Hand on my waist, you guide me
Your confidence in my ability to dance increases
You lead me with one finger,
Your other arm behind your back
We spin around each other
My arm around your waist as you turn
Your palm on my shoulder as we change positions
We are one
Like the earth and moon
We are intertwined by an invisible force
I part my lips to take greater breaths
You lick your lips, eyes half closed
No room for thinking, it comes naturally
You lead, I follow
You command, I submit
And too quickly the music ends
We two salsaeros posed at the last note
My head thrown back, in line with my out stretched leg
You bend over me as you dip me
We both gasp for air

1 Comments:

Blogger Archer said...

I'm not really a fan of poetry. I don't know how you do it, Stunuh Jay, but your poetry takes me places! I like!

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # Kenyan Blogs ? >>

Get Voting - The KayBees